There is nothing that upsets me more than walking into a gym and seeing someone hunched over an exercise bike barely pedalling, seeming as if they would rather not be there. I know not everyone can have outstanding confidence especially if they have gone to the gym to tackle weight issues but it’s something that is vital to anyone’s success.
A big problem with having low confidence while in the gym is that you will never push yourself to your true potential. You may even never get to use some equipment you need to because your afraid of being surrounded by athletic people. I have been there and I know what it’s like asking to use some equipment after someone who looks they eat a whole cow for breakfast, it’s quite daunting. Some of them are condescending and just plain arrogant which doesn’t help matters but you have to remember you go to the gym for yourself.
NEVER think about how you look in other peoples eyes, just simply focus on your needs and what you want to achieve from your gym session.
You could just put on a front and act out your confidence, something hundreds of people will do on a daily basis in any situation. This though can be difficult, and if you can’t manage it don’t worry there are other things you can do to help you.
First step is to get the body language right, do not hide away. Whether you are 50lb’s underweight of 50lb’s overweight you should never slouch, maintain a good solid posture. Gyms are full of mirrors, if you slouch you are only going to weaken the confidence in yourself, so sit/stand up straight.
Look the part
Invest in a decent set of gym clothes and shoes. You do not want to look as if you are wearing gym clothes that last fitted you in your school P.E. lessons. Getting a good set of gym clothes will add to your confidence. Just like when you wear anything that is smart or fancy, you do feel an added, ‘swagger’ about you, we need to replicate this in the gym.
Remember I am talking in respect to how you view yourself, not about how other people see you. If your mind see’s someone that doesn’t take their exercise seriously then you probably will just put yourself down.
What can be quite daunting is going into the gym with no set plan. This leaves you to make it up as you go along, paving the way for your mind to put you down and skipping out that exercise. So before each session jot down exactly what you are going to do, and do not leave until you have done all of it.
This can be seen as goal setting as well as planning. It’s amazing how good you will feel if you set a goal and then accomplish it, it is one of the most driving things in my opinion. Obviously start small and easy, the last thing you want to do is fail half of your goals completely discouraging yourself.
Go with some friends, being in a group of people will always boost confidence no matter who you are. It will also help by possibly having a little bit if light hearted competition and encouragement from your close peers.
There is a huge snowball effect with all this, putting all these ideas of: looking the part, goal setting and planning your program will give you noticeable results. Which, you guessed it will increase your confidence even more, to the point where you wouldn’t believe you were ever worried about conducting your exercise.
- bigoleschlong reblogged this from health-freeak
- mearg025 reblogged this from health-freeak
- dragonsdreamsdestiny reblogged this from health-freeak
- losis2honest reblogged this from fitt-freak
- fitt-freak reblogged this from health-freeak
- j-akeanthony reblogged this from health-freeak
- h-ealthyandslim reblogged this from health-freeak
- yareni likes this
- daystoinfinityandbeyond likes this
- tillicxllapse reblogged this from health-freeak
- she-got-hot reblogged this from health-freeak
- thirdtimes-acharm reblogged this from health-freeak
- jamiebellonly likes this
- freebodyfreespirit reblogged this from health-freeak
- fat2fit165-120 likes this
- stretchingsarah reblogged this from health-freeak
- tobefitforme likes this
- seekinghealthy reblogged this from health-freeak
- serene-fashion likes this
- shshshshelle likes this
- reset-everything reblogged this from health-freeak
- bourbonandboatshoes likes this
- romanovito reblogged this from health-freeak
- health-freeak posted this